Monday, May 14, 2012

Pretty in Pink

Step-by-step on how to turn a pajama jumpsuit into a cute and comfy dress.

  

I began with cutting at the waist to eliminate the dropped waist and gathers.  


Next step was to cut my sleeves from the pant legs, taking advantage of the existing hem to be used for the hem of my sleeves.  I used a sleeve pattern to get an idea of the curve I needed.  I also measured the sleeve opening on the bodice to make sure the new sleeve would fit.  I cut the sleeve a little bigger than the bodice sleeve opening so that I would have some ease at the top of the sleeve. Once cut, I ran a gathering stitch along the top of the sleeve and gathered it slightly.  I pinned the sleeve to the bodice opening and stitched it in place.  


I wanted the sleeves to be a little more fitted, so I made a small cut on the backside of the existing hem.  I then threaded some small elastic through and secured the ends.


Now it was time to turn my attention to the skirt of the dress.  After cutting apart the inseam and crotch area, I laid the piece flat (right sides together and original side seams on top of each other.)  I then squared-up and cut off the top edge.  Note: Even by cutting off the top edge, there were still a few buttons/buttonholes at the front.  This is essential in order to get your dress on and off!


The front and back crotch areas were squared-up, stitched, and cut off.  At this point you could also square-up and cut off the bottom edge.


On second thought, I wanted a slit in the back, so instead of a small serged seam in the back, I cut it away and stitched a new one.  This time, I serged both edges and then stitched a 5/8" seam.  I didn't stitch it all the way to the end so that I could leave an opening for a back slit.


Press the back seam open.


Next, the bodice and skirt went onto the dress form for fitting.  I pinned the side seams.


I also pinned darts in the front and the back.


Stitch the side seams.


Stitch the darts and press.



 Sorry, the rest of the tutorial is picture-free, but its just a matter of pinning and stitching the skirt to the bodice and hemming the skirt.  The sash was cut 8 12" wide (by what ever length you want it to be), folded in half, stitched, turned, and pressed.  

I hope this tutorial was helpful and that you have fun with your next refashion!



















No comments:

Post a Comment